Saturday, January 18, 2014

Swiss Chicken Broccoli Casserole


4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled
4-6 slices Swiss cheese
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1 pkg. frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed
2 cups stuffing mix
1/2 stick of butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.  Place chicken breasts evenly in dish.  Cover each with a slice of Swiss cheese.  In a large bowl whisk both soups, milk, pepper, sage and mustard.  Stir in broccoli and stuffing mix.  Spoon over chicken.  Pour melted butter over dressing.  Bake 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.  Serves 4 - 6.

Martha:  I found a recipe for this dish on The Southern Lady Cooks site.  I did make a few changes, of course.  I added the mushroom soup and eliminated the canned chicken gravy and can of mushrooms.  I also used pre-cooked chicken making this a much quicker dish.  You can use bone in or boneless but I like using the boneless for this dish.  For my stuffing I used my favorite blue package Pepperidge Farm.  I almost forgot, I added the broccoli too giving it an added flavor.

Lillian: Like you, Martha, I almost always have cooked chicken in the freezer as well as stuffing mix or homemade stuffing. It makes it so easy to put a meal together quickly and yet have a tasty dinner. One of my favorite chicken recipes is the one "My Sister's Chicken Delicious" and it calls for the cooked chicken, stuffing mix and soup. Why not try adding the broccoli to that dish, as well. I think that it would be super delicious. This is a real hit.

Martha:  Sis, that's a great idea and we do have your sisters Chicken Delicious as a recipe in this book.  


Tip:  I've always heard the term poultry but never really paid much attention to its real meaning.  Poultry actually refers to any domesticated bird raised for its eggs or meat... chicken, turkey, capon, game hen, duck, goose, etc.  Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment