Monday, January 13, 2014

Garlic & Brown Sugar Chicken


2 chicken breasts
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1/2 stick butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a small sauce pan sauté garlic in butter.  Remove from heat.  Add brown sugar and mustard.  Spray baking dish big enough for the chicken with non-stick spray.  Place chicken, bone side down in pan.  Spoon butter mixture over chicken.  Bake 40-45 minutes or until done.  Baste 2 to 3 times during baking.

Martha:  This is so good.  The recipe that gave me the idea used olive oil instead of butter and it didn't include the mustard.  It was also baked at a much higher temperature for less time.  My method worked great.  The chicken came out juicy with the flavor of butter and garlic throughout the meat and the garlic taste on the outside.  The original also called for boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  I decided to use the bone-in which were very large weighing about 3/4 lb. each.  Each was enough to make 4 servings.  When I worked this up I added my garlic to the butter, then the sugar, gave it a taste until I had it just right.  Then I did the same thing when adding the mustard.  Great dish and looks good too.

Lillian: This is a real winner! I only eat white meat of chicken, while Bill will eat any of it, so this is more to my liking. I want the meat juicy and tender, while thoroughly cooked. This is it!! The Dijon mustard adds just the right amount of zing to the tasty sauce that you use to baste the meat with. Can't lose on this one!

https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Tip:  I've seen dishes that have been cooked in clay pots but didn't know much about them.  I do know that they make very pretty serving dishes when cooked as individuals.  This is what I found out about these pretty little pots.  Clay pots are a wonderful way to bake almost any type of marinated poultry.  The pot seals in the juices and imparts a richer flavor to the dish.  Most dishes take less time to cook in a clay baking pot than in a conventional baking dish so start checking for doneness 5 to 10 minutes earlier than the recipe suggests.

1 comment: