Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Orange Chicken & Onion Soup Mix Chicken


Orange Chicken

1 chicken, cut in pieces
1/2 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh, sliced mushrooms
1 can (6 oz.) frozen orange juice, thawed
1/2 cup white wine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place chicken pieces in a 9 x 13 x 2 baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray.  Mix the orange juice concentrate, onion soup and wine together. Blend in mushrooms.  Pour mixture over chicken, evenly.  Cover and bake 45 minutes.  Remove cover and bake another 15 minutes.

Onion Soup Mix Chicken

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, split into 6
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1 can (4 oz.) sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup chicken broth
6 slices Swiss cheese
Brussels Sprouts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place chicken pieces in a 9 x 13 x 2 baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray.  Place chicken in dish and bake 20 minutes, uncovered.  In a bowl combine soup, mushrooms and broth.  Pour evenly over chicken.  Add Brussels Sprouts to dish.  Bake another 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and place a slice of cheese over each piece of chicken.  Return to oven for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts.  Serve over rice.

Lillian:  This is a really flavorful dish and so easy to make.  Most, if not all, ingredients are on hand in your pantry or freezer.  I have never made this in a crock pot, but don't see why it couldn't be done.  The biggest problem that I have is finding the 6 oz. frozen orange juice.  All I see are 12 oz. so I just use half of that and use the remainder for another use.

Martha:  This is my way of Thinking With My Taste Buds.  I'm not a big fan of orange and chicken so I eliminated it and since I seldom keep wine in the house I decided to just go with the chicken broth.  I also used canned mushrooms and since I'm not a dark meat fan I decided to use the chicken breasts.  The Swiss cheese and Brussels Sprouts were ideas I had halfway.  Other than the rice, this became a 1 dish meal and so good. 

Lillian:  Martha's version.  Wow!  You really did Think With Your Taste Buds!  I always have both white and red wine here for cooking.  I also buy boneless chicken breasts most often.  This does well in this recipe.  I've never added cheese or a vegetable to this, but it could only add to the taste.

Food Tester Carol:  I think one of the most delicious pairings of any foods is Swiss cheese and chicken.  This recipe is not fussy and you assemble it easily - the baked chicken topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and garnished with mushrooms.  It looks elegant; it feels like a lot of work but it's really a 1-2-3 recipe with a great delicious reward.


Tip:  Want to check your egg for freshness?  Pit it (in its shell) in a large bowl of room-temperature water.  As the egg ages, it loses moisture, and the air sac inside the large end of the egg shell enlarges.  The swelling of the air sac increases the egg's buoyancy.  So, the older the egg, the higher it floats. 


No comments:

Post a Comment