Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Butterfly Pasta Chicken


8 oz. Farfalle pasta
1 tsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. boneless chicken, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
1 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 cup chicken broth (reserved from boiling chicken)
1/2 cup oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
1/2 cup half & half
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package, drain and set aside.
In a large skillet heat oil.  Add garlic, chicken, basil, Italian seasoning, pepper and broth.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes allowing liquid to reduce and flavors to absorb in chicken.  Add tomatoes, half & half and cheese.  Stir well.  Toss pasta into chicken mixture.  Heat and serve.   Makes 4-6 main dishes.

Martha:  Sis, you know I love to read and now and then I actually learn something.  In one book there was a character that enjoyed cooking.  This make believe character actually taught me the Italian translation for Farfalle.  It means 'butterfly.'  For years I've called this form of pasta, like everyone else, 'bow ties' because that's what they look like.  Now that I know the true meaning of the word they will always be 'butterflies' to me.  My Butterfly Pasta Chicken is so good.  The original recipe called for wine which I substituted with broth, it called for uncooked chicken which I changed because I keep cooked chicken in the freezer for quick dishes.  It called for whipping cream which I didn't have but I did have half & half.  And it also called for crushed red pepper which I changed to black pepper. I also added the extra teaspoon of Italian seasoning giving it the perfect blend of flavor.  This dish was a real hit with my food testers.


Lillian: Having grown up in the "melting pot" area outside Pittsburgh, I knew what Farfalle was and still we called them "bow ties". There are so many types of pasta and this one is so perfect for this recipe and the name tells it all. This dish is sure to be a winner at your table whether for family or guests. It also makes a great dish to take for a potluck dinner or to a shut-in. You've done it again, Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment