Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Chicken Noodle Casserole


2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and cut into cubes
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 jar (2 oz.) pimientos, drained
1 can (8 1/2 oz.) sweet peas, drained
1/2 lb. medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
4 Tbsp. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl mix chicken, soup, milk, pimientos, peas and noodles.  Pour into 2 qt. casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray.  Mix bread crumbs, cheese and butter together.  Sprinkle over dish.  Bake 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Serves 6.

Martha:  This dish was originally a recipe using tuna that I changed to chicken.  It also called for frozen peas which I substituted with canned and I added the Parmesan cheese for added taste.  Turned out great.  I think the next time I make this I'm going to add some almond slivers to give it another texture.


Lillian: I remember the tuna casserole and made it, or one very similar, many times. I'd like this one even better with the chicken and I don't think that I'll change a thing from how you have made it, Martha. Great dish and so easy on the cook and the budget.

Tip:  Generally a casserole takes anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours to bake.  Because of this you might want to consider using dried herbs in the dishes that require cooking time of more than an hour.  Fresh delicate herbs tend to lose their flavor when exposed to extended periods of high heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment