Thursday, January 2, 2014

Chicken Tortellini Bake


1 cup cheese filled Tortellini
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
1 sleeve crackers, crushed
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook Tortellini according to package directions.  Drain and pour into a 2 qt. baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.  Cut or tear chicken into bite size pieces and place over Tortellini.  Whisk soup, milk and water together.  Pour over chicken.  Mix crackers and melted butter.  Sprinkle evenly over dish.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly hot.  Serves 6

Martha:  I found a recipe for what was called the Simplest Chicken Casserole but as always I wanted to make a few changes of my own.  I had a partial package of 3 cheese Tortellini, about a cup, so I decided to add that to the bottom.  The original called for 1 cup of milk but to give it a little richness I decided to use the evaporated milk with a little water added.  If I had not been out of half and half I would have used that instead of the evaporated milk.  This dish turned out delicious!  I used Ritz crackers which when combined with the butter  gave it a touch of sweetness and oh so good.

Lillian: Tortellini is so versatile and it makes a tasty difference in many dishes. I use a lot of half and half, also, and love the richness it gives to sauces. I love onion and would add just a bit here. Toss a salad and you have a great meal with this dish.

Tips: I'm still trying to re-learn the art of deep frying chicken.  I do remember that one thing is essential and that is the pan that you use.  Unless you're using an electric deep fryer with thermostatically controlled heat you should use a deep pan or kettle with straight sides.  It needs to be of heavy metal and cast iron is the best. Heavy metal pots hold the heat more evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment