Sunday, March 9, 2014

Marinade Chicken Salad




2-3 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
2 Tbsp. oregano, dried
1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. minced garlic

Cut the chicken up into 1/2" wide strips.  In a medium size bowl with tight fitting lid combine oil, wine, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic.  Mix well.  Add chicken.  Close lid and shake to coat chicken.  Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hrs. but best if overnight.  

To cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a roasting pan with foil to catch juices.  Place chicken evenly in dish, on a wire rack if possible.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until chicken is done. 
For salad, remove chicken from juice.  While hot sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Top chicken and cheese on your favorite salad.

Martha:  We have many restaurants here in Charlotte that have Greek owners.  I have always loved the taste of their broiled chicken either as a dish, on a sandwich or topped on a salad.  I've tried several times to copy the taste but to no success.  Then I met Catherine!  A neighbor who is Greek and has some wonderful Greek cookbooks.  After going through 6 of her books I finally found what I believed to be the marinade I was looking for.  I hit it right on the nail 1st time.  This is so good.  The oregano and garlic give this the perfect blend of flavors.  Now I can't wait to give this a try on full chicken breasts baked in the oven.  One thing I did do when cooking my strips was to place them on a wire rack inside my roaster.  This allowed the chicken to drain into the pan without actually cooking in the drippings.

Lillian:   We are also blessed with numerous Greek restaurants and Greek churches here.  The churches have dinners, open to the public and all have wonderful food.  We have a Greek community, a few miles south of us with wonderful restaurants, shrimp boats going out daily and even sponge boats.  It is a great place to spend an afternoon and then treat yourself to a dinner, such as your salad here.  I, too, have cookbooks filled with wonderful treats from Greece. I wouldn't change a thing about your recipe; it is great as is.


Tip:  Beer batter will fry crisper and lighter if allowed to stand awhile after mixing.  This gives the flour granules time to soften and absorb the liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment