Saturday, March 8, 2014

Chicken Fried Rice




3 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 cup water
2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
2 Tbsp. oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup bell peppers, red and green
2 cups cooked rice (2 boiling bags)
2 green onions, chopped
salt & pepper to taste



In a medium bowl combine soy sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil and water.  Add chicken.  Toss to coat.  (this mixture will be thick).  Preheat a large wok.  Add oil.  Pour in eggs and scramble until cooked.  Remove from wok.  Add onions and peppers to the wok and stir fry over med. high heat until fragrant.  Add chicken mixture, rice and eggs.  Stir to mix and heat.  Add green onions, salt and pepper to taste.  Serves 6


Martha:  I found this recipe in a circular that comes out in my local paper.  I did, of course, make a few changes.  I increased the soy sauce from 1 to 3 Tbsp. and added the water.  It was entirely too thick and dry without the water and I like soy sauce.  This still comes out a bit thick but it coats the chicken nicely.  The peppers were to be added at the end but I wanted to lightly sauté them so I added these with the onions.  I also increased the sesame oil by 1/2 Tbsp.  I like its flavor too.  This would be good with chopped water chestnuts too.


Lillian:  This dish is perfect as is!  I love Oriental dishes and this is a great example of their cuisine.  I also, would add the water chestnuts or sliced bamboo.  I'm going to try this with thinly sliced steak too.  Great dish!




Tip:  When planning an appetizer party, Think With Your Taste Buds.  Balance rich, highly flavored foods with simple, fresh ones.  Plan one or two hot appetizers that can be made ahead and heated just before serving.  Also select several chilled appetizers that can be prepared early and served without last-minute attention.  If you serve buffet style, choose foods that guests can pick up easily.  Too many choices that must be spooned out, sliced, or spread may cause people to bunch around the buffet table.

No comments:

Post a Comment