Thursday, August 17, 2017

Oriental Chicken



Chicken:
3 pounds chicken (I used 3 large chicken breasts bone with a weight of about 2 ½ lb)

Marinade:
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 fresh garlic cloves, pressed – I used 2 Tbsp. minced garlic)
2 teaspoons five spice powder
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (I cut this down to ¼ tsp. ginger)
1 tablespoon dry sherry (this I didn’t use)

In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup oil, such as light olive oil or peanut oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 fresh pressed garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons five-spice powder, 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger and 1 tablespoon dry sherry, and use as a marinade.

Marinate Chicken
In a large plastic or ceramic container with a lid, place the 3 pounds chicken.
Pour the marinade over all the pieces, turning until all the pieces are coated evenly.
Cover and marinate at least 1 hour, and up to overnight.

Cook Chicken

Bake in a 375-degree F. oven (basting once or twice), or grill, for about 45 minutes or until done.

COMMENTS:  As you can see I used a little less chicken, minced garlic, less ginger (too strong for me) and eliminated the sherry.  This marinated for about 24 hrs.  As it baked I would baste with the drippings (not the leftover marinate).  This came out so moist.  The flavors flowed throughout the chicken and was delicious.  I ate some as it was and some on a salad that I drizzled with an oriental dressing, sesame sticks and some roasted peanuts.  This made a wonderful meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment