Saturday, May 17, 2014

Three Cheese Chicken Bake





1 - 8 oz. pkg. wide egg noodles, cooked
3 cups chicken, cooked and diced (I used 2 boneless skinless breasts)
1 1/2 cups Mid-American Farms Cottage Cheese
2 cups Mid-American Farms American Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup milk
3 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. onion, minced (I used dehydrated)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup1/2 cup potato chips, crushed (I used 1 cup crushed chip type onion rings)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl mix together chicken, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, butter, onion, soups and milk.  Put noodles in the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.  Top with chicken mix.  Top with crushed potato chips and Parmesan cheese.  Bake 45 minutes.

Martha:  This is another oldie but goodie that I found in a booklet put out by Mid-American Farms.  I have no idea what the date of this booklet might be but I do know that it's full of delicious recipes like this one.  Now everyone knows me by now and know that I have to make changes in just about everything I cook.  This was no exception.  First, I've not been able to find Mid-American Farms so I had to use another brand.  I decided to eliminate the Parmesan and American cheeses and instead use 2 1/2 cups of Colby cheese which gives it a nice texture - stringy.  And finally, while picking up a bag of chips I spotted a bag of Onion Rings and decided to use that instead of the chips.  I have no doubt that this dish is delicious whether you use my recipe or theirs.  This was a great hit with my food testers too.

Lillian:  This is how we used to make things, very tasty and filling and, yet, it was from items that we had in the pantry or refrigerator.  I loved it when the canned soups came out and made it much easier than cooking and stirring the sauces that we made back then.  As always, great recipe, Martha.

Food Tester Carol:  One taste was enough to captivate us and take us back to our favorite foods of years past!  We couldn't stop eating it as though we were the Very Hungry Caterpillar!  Small pieces of chicken rest atop egg noodles in a creamy sauce made with soup, cottage cheese, cheese and a touch of onion.  You might say it's tangy but I think it's better than tangy, like going several steps beyond tangy.  The onion spreads its flavor throughout the sauce.  The crunch topping with a final hint of onion leads a playful feel to the recipe.  This is the kind of meal that lingers in your memory and that your family will request over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment