Sunday, May 18, 2014

Chicken Meatball Custard


2 cups shredded cheese (your choice)
2 Tbsp. flour
1 1/4 cups milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 pkg (12 oz.) Chicken Meatballs (I used Aidells Italian with Mozzarella)
1 9" pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Toss 1 1/2 cups of the cheese with the flour.  Combine milk and eggs.  Combine with cheese.  Pour into pie shell.  Bake 35-40 minutes.  Slice meatballs in half.  Arrange on top of the pie.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.  Bake another 20 minutes.

Martha:  I found a recipe in Kraft's 1971 paperback book titled The Complete Cheese Cookbook.  This recipe called for pepperoni, black olives and zucchini.  I decided to make the change to chicken meatballs and it turned out great!  The meatballs I used are Aidells which are fully cooked, already have the Italian seasonings in them as well as mozzarella cheese.  I thought this would come out like a quiche but instead it comes out like a custard so that's why I'm calling it Meatball Custard.  I also used colby cheese instead of the Swiss the original recipe called for because I felt its taste would suite the meatballs better.  This dish can be made using just about any kind of topping.  Steak, ground beef seasoned with cumin, cooked chopped chicken.  Just Think With Your Taste Buds and come up with your own combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment