Monday, March 23, 2015

Chicken & Potato Casserole



4 med. potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 med. onion, sliced
6 slices cheese
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a baking dish (9 x 13 x 2) with non-stick spray.  place potato slices in dish.  Top with onions.  Top onions with cheese.  Cut chicken into thin strips.  In a large frying pan heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil.  Brown chicken on both sides.  Place on top of cheese.  Add soup and milk to the frying pan.  Whisk together and heat.  Pour over chicken.  Cover with foil.  Bake 45 minutes or until potatoes are done.  Remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes to brown top.  Serves 4 - 6.

Martha:  I found a version of this recipe in a 1983 cookbook.  It actually called for pork chops, not chicken but when I decided to Think With My Taste Buds I knew the switch would work, and it did.  The original called for American cheese, I used cheddar.  I also increased the oven temp from 325 to 350 and increased the cooking time from 1/2 hr. to 45 minutes.  When I checked my potatoes after 1/2 hr. they weren't quite done so I added the additional 15 minutes.  This dish is delicious and you can, of course, change it back to pork chops.  This would also be good made with ground beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment