Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Chicken Steak & Gravy



3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup flour for dredge
1 tsp. dried onions
1/2 cup milk
Olive oil

Heat olive oil on med. heat.  In a shallow bowl mix flour and dried onions.  Pour milk into another shallow bowl.  Slice chicken through the thickness creating 2 thin 'steaks.'  Dip chicken in milk and then into flour/onions.  Fry slowly, browning on both sides, until done.  Remove from pan and keep warm.  If needed, pour off any olive oil left in pan after chicken has cooked.  Add dried onion soup mix and mushroom soup.  Stir until blended to make a gravy.  If it becomes too thick, add enough milk to create the thickness you want. If it's too thin, mix a Tbsp. of flour with 1/4 cup water and add to gravy.  Serve over chicken. Serves 3-4

Martha:  While looking through one of the vintage cookbooks my beautiful sister Lillian sent to me.  I ran across a recipe for Cubed Steak which, of course, used cubed steak.  I'm not much of a beef eater anymore but the recipe did sound good as well as simple.  So, I decided to Think With My Taste Buds and decided this would be good using chicken too.  And it is!  The flavor of the gravy was so good that I could have eaten it by the spoonfuls.  I did use my rice flour for battering the chicken but I can't call this one gluten free because the mushroom soup does have wheat flour as an ingredient.  This is a must try dish for chicken or beef or even beef.


No comments:

Post a Comment