Saturday, February 21, 2015

One Pot Chicken and Rice



1 1/2 cups raw rice
1 cup water
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup melted oleo (margarine or butter)
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. dry onion soup mix
8 - 10 pieces of chicken
1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional)

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.  Lightly grease a shallow 3 qt. baking dish.  Sprinkle rice and 1 cup of water over the bottom.  Combine soups, oleo, 1/4 cup water and dry soup mix.  Pour half soup mixture on top of rice.  Place chicken in one layer, skin side up on top of rice.  Pour remaining soup mixture over chicken.  Sprinkle with almonds.  Cover and bake 2 1/2 hrs.  To brown chicken, uncover last 20 minutes and bake at 400 degrees.  Yield: 6 - 8 servings.

Martha:  This recipe came from a cookbook with no name.  It's a spiral paperback that is very poorly put together and there is a hand written date of Jan. 1983 on the top of the 1st page.  It may be in poor condition but the recipes inside aren't.  I made very little change in making this dish.  I used a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray and instead of white rice I used a wild rice blend that I find at Harris Teeter and love dearly.  I also used 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts which I cut down the center creating 6 pieces.  And of course I used butter instead of the oleo (not sure you can even find that anymore).  I must say that this dish is one of the best I've had, especially the rice combined with the soup.  I could make this and completely leave out the chicken!  It's that good.  Or you could cook the chicken, chunk it up and just mix it in with the soups creating a casserole.  No matter how you make this, I really feel that you'll love it as much as I do.  The rice blend has a nutty taste and the almonds give it a slight crunch.  Sooooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment