Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Orzo Chicken



1 cup uncooked orzo
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup shredded cheese
2 tbsp. butter, softened
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup cooked chicken, shredded

Panko & another 1/4 cup of shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook orzo according to package and drain.  Combine all ingredients (except panko and extra 1/4 cup of cheese) in a large bowl, and spoon into a 2-quart casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Top with 1/4 cup of cheese and enough Panko to cover dish.  Bake another 5 minutes or until Panko has browned slightly and cheese has melted.

Martha:  I found a recipe for broccoli and rice that sounded good but it called for instant rice.  I spotted the box of Orzo and thought why not.  I did cook the orzo and cut down the amount of broccoli called for in the recipe, which was 2 frozen packages.  And of course I added the chicken.  I baked 3 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts using enough to make a cup and also used the drippings as my broth.  If you don't have a full 1/4 cup of drippings, add a little water.  The balance of the chicken I ground and have made a 'Chicken Cheese Ball' that I'll post later.  This dish really turned out great!  It's simple to make and very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment