Friday, August 8, 2014

Chicken Enchiladas - 1967 cookbook



3 cloves of garlic, minced fine
4 Tbsp. cooking oil
3 Tbsp. flour
1 No. 2 1/2 can chili sauce (I used 1 12 oz. jar and added 1 pkg. Taco seasoning )
1 (scant) sauce can water (I used 2 cups)
pinch of oregano
salt to taste
1 3 lb. chicken, boiled and cut up (I used 3 med. size boneless skinless chicken breasts baked)
3 large onions, sliced thin (I used 1/2 cup of frozen chopped onions - Picsweet)
1 dozen corn tortillas (I used 6 large flour tortillas)
1 lb. shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2 cups of Mexican blend)
1 can black olives (I didn't use the olives)

Saute garlic in 2 Tbsp. oil;  stir in flour.  Add chili sauce, water, oregano and salt.  Stir until smooth;  bring to boil and simmer 30 minutes.  Add chicken to half of sauce.  Cook onions in remaining oil until soft; add 3 Tbsp. of sauce to color.  On one tortilla at a time, place some of the chicken mixture, onions, some shredded cheese and 2 or 3 olives.  Fold over the upper half of the tortillas; pour over remaining sauce and top with the remaining cheese and one olive for each enchilada.  Bake in 350 degree oven until cheese melts.  Serve hot.

Martha:  OK, this recipe is form 1967.  I liked the concept but updated it a bit.  You can see the differences in the ingredients I used.  When I mixed the chili sauce with the flour mixture there just wasn't enough taste for me so that is when I decided to add the Taco seasoning.  Using the baked chicken breasts was quick and easy as were the frozen chopped onions.  I did mix the flour mixture, chili, taco seasoning, water, oregano, chicken, salt and onions all together in my pot and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.  The 6 large flour tortillas fit perfectly in a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish that was sprayed with non-stick.  For assembly I put just a little of the sauce on the bottom of the dish.  Placed a tortilla on a plate, using a slotted spoon I put a good amount of the chicken and sauce down the center of the tortilla.  Covered that with cheese, rolled it over and placed it seam side down in my dish.  After all had been filled and placed in the pan I poured the balance of the sauce over the top and covered that with the remaining cheese.  This dish came out great and so easy to make!

Comment from Food Tester Carol:  These tender pieces of chicken wrapped in a soft tortilla and baked in a spicy tomato sauce remind me of the way we made sauce way-back-when - with a little sweetness to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.  Put this dish on your table and it will disappear.


No comments:

Post a Comment